Twitter

Tuesday 21 December 2010

Santa? Really?

"Most children stop believing in Santa Claus between 7 and 8 years old; however a lot of these children pretended to believe in order not to “disappoint their parents,” wrote Kutner. Dr. John Condry, a professor of Human Development and Family Studies at Cornell University, noted that most children weren’t upset by the lie. In fact, said Condry, “The most common response to finding out the truth was that they felt older and more mature.” In situations where the lies aren’t considered “benevolent,” it’s important to admit to them and to explain the situation as best you can. “Once you, as a parent, lose credibility, you’ve lost your moral authority. It knocks the feet out from under a child.” Dr. Lawrence J. Walker, a professor of psychology at the University of British Columbia."


When I was young I think my parents tried the Santa Claus thing once or twice but I never believed it, or I pulled the fake beard of my dad and alughed at him. Santa Claus was always just a figure in movies to me, a bit like Cinderella, Batman and Winnie the Pooh Bear. Something I was fond of and enjoyed thinking about, but nothing I thought was real. Presents was something you gave to family members and something you were thankful for to them. Not something that depended on my behaviour and on my wishlist.

In Andreas family Santa is still coming, and since there are now grandchildren in the family it makes sense I guess, at the same time I get a bit frustrated. The logic is just so massively flawed. I don't understand why we try to convince the children, I don't even understand the charm or magic about him. In England where Santa comes during the night it makes more sense, but in Sweden where Santa comes in when everyone is there (except one family member who is out to get the mail or is in the bathroom for a suspiciously long time) it just doesn't make sense. Especially since the kids are told to thank Santa and the gift giver (grandmother or whoever it may be). This is the part I don't understand... So Santa comes by, to give out presents that are from people already in the room....?

What kind of stupid kid believes this? My hope is that any kids we might have in the future will be smart enough to figure this one out. Not because Santa isn't welcome but because he doesn't make sense... :)



UPDATE: Andreas told me that I should probably take away this post because otherwise I will probably not get any presents this year. (Yes he is serious ;) )

No comments: